Conheça Iguaí
  Como Chegar
  Pontos Turísticos
  Guia Comercial
 Parceiros IguaíMix
  O Site
Conheça Iguaí . História
Versão em Português

The town of Iguaí, 497 km from Salvador, next to Poções, Boa Nova, Dário Meira, Nova Canaã and Ibicuí. It’s territory is about 833 Km2. It’s population estimated in 2009, at around 29.449 inhabitants. It’s situated in the microregion of Vitória da conquista. In the Gongogi valley, basin of Rio de contas, sat between the regions of Mata Atlântica beside Conquista uphill. It’s about 15km from Ibicuí, 7km from Nova Canaã, 45km from Poções, 100km from Itapetinga, 120km from Itabuna, 120km from Vitoria da Conquista, 140km from Jequié and 150km from Ilhéus.

IGUAÍ: Source of drinking water

In the 20’s, some families started to arrive and stay in search of good lands in the region and water as long as the indian that have lived in region, running from the coastline, going through the drylands, called the place of “Iguaí”, (source = yguá; Water = y). That’s the poetical translation of Iguaí source of drinking water. One of the first families to arrive were the families of Ramiro Engrácio de Matos that came from Jéquie with his wife and children, after he had bought a farm called Planicie (plain) beside Gongogi river.

José Cândido da Silva, bought a farm called Iracema, Manoel Pires da Silva, bought a farm called Iracy, and the Major Bráulio Ribeiro de Novaes bought another farm called cachoeira (waterfall), cut by Gongogi river. Not so many farm properties, the region was fulled, in a great part of its area, by virgin forests, many rivers and had a big native population and a few emigrants.

Braúlio Novaes e família

Rodrigo Teixeira

Fulgêncio Alves Teixeira arrived in 1929, coming from the town of Jussiape, leadering a group of people called troupers “about forty people”, even his family, looking for to start to explore the hidden lands. Some time later arrived Bráulio Clementino Novaes, bringing his family and enjoyed the same goals. Later arrived the colonel Rodrigo Teixeira that would be back to Jussiape later, his homeland. The first houses of taipa (a kind of wood) were built on the ground, that once housed the troupers at night in around 1929. The troupers were sellers coming from the dry lands, they had in their bags of goods, interesting things,  taking cattle and the news from the capital of Bahia to the hinterlands. But it was the major Fulgêncio Teixeira, from Lavras Diamantinas, that, with his family and settlers coming from his homeland that founded the village.

Ramiro Matos

At first the place was called Lavrinhas, because of the fact that great part of the families came from Lavras Diamantinas (chapada diamantina), acctualy from a town called Jussiape. In 1932, the major Bráulio Novaes, together with Major Fulgêncio Teixeira, started the built the town, where today there is the main square called Jurací Magalhães, that was ploted, having the support of other neighbours and grew around. The town was built beside the Gongogi river where there were  the farms “Iracema” property of José Cândido da Silva and “Planície” property of Ramiro Engrácio de Matos.  Since then the village came to be known as “comercinho do major Fulgêncio”, because of him to be the main idealizer of this idea, pioneering in advise and administration of it responsible of many other families arrivals coming from his homeland.    

1ª Igreja Católica de Iguaí

The state law n° 8.021, from May 15th, 1932,  created the district if Iguaí – in homenage of indians inhabitants of the region – settled in the place of same name, with the police districts of “Água Fina” (Tiny water), Boa Vista (Nice View), and Ibiporanga and belonging to Poções district. By the state law nº 513, December 12th,1952, became the category of town and the village of Iguaí and created the district of same name with dismebered territory of poções and constituted of only district. The first nominated mayor of Iguaí was Anatálio Schettini and the first to be elected in free elections was Carlos Ribeiro Freire that first was councillor in the town of Poções. Then, was created the district of Ponto Chique, by the state law nº 628, December 30th, 1953.

1º Desfile Cívico de Iguaí organizado pela Professora Eulina Assunção Novaes

Nowadays makes part of Iguaí, the districts of Iguaibí, Ibiporanga, Altamira, Ponto Chique and Palmeirinha.

Tradução por Dimas Luz
Revisado por Belinda Parsey

Praça Juracy Magalhães - Casa Odir

 Parceiros IguaíMix
WebtivaHOSTING | webtiva.com . webdesign da Bahia